Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Baba Yaga- Russian folkore

We studied Russia last month for our Homeschool geography club.

I was invited to this awesome performance by a new Mama I met who is from Russia. I bought the tickets as soon as I saw it.

"A full full length acrobatic story of Baba Yaga, an ancient witch who lives in the last forest in all the land. She is pursued for her medicine and knowledge by the fair Vasilia and her dancing friend Brim, who must complete a series of impossible tasks to get the witch's help. 

This dark tale is told through dance, aerial acrobatics, stilt walkers, fire dancing, and a number of large scale props and scene work. Not to be missed!"


Days before the event the stomach flu hit, I was so bummed 3/6 birds were throwing up!

No play for us!

Luckily, the flu hit hard and fast and was over in 24 hours so my little birds were healthy again and could attened the play.



 Baba Yaga's house that you could get your photo taken in.
 Coming back from the bathroom before the start of the show I noticed all the people killing time on their cell phones, I just had to get a shot
 A few pictures from the show, they are quite  blurry.
 Duck and Owl loved the fire dancing skeletons



Baba Yaga creating her potion




Papabird thought it was terrible,but he is spoiled going to very expensive shows all around the world with his clients.

The kids and I loved it! I loved the story and was entertained throughout the whole show. Sure there were many mistakes and no the danced were never in sync ( they were supposed to be) but you could tell they were giving it their all and having fun. These were not professionals but for a family of 6 to go to a live performance for $50 what do you expect?

Speaking of Russia.....
The book Duck helped me act out at our Homeschool geography event a few week prior.



The craft we did. There are 4 nesting dolls accordion folded and slipped into this paint sample pocket (in the story the nesting dolls were magic and hid in a little girls pocket)

My birthday gift to myself this year. Custom made for me on Etsy. This is my go to the Zoo or other events with the kids bag. So I can walk away from my diaper bag and keep my valuables safe on my body!
Celebrating Maslenitsa, the Pancake week. It is the richest and merriest of Russia’s festivities which is celebrated with sledding, burning scarecrows, and bonfire jumping. All the week people gather and eat pancakes with relatives and friends. We ate pancakes this week with home made strawberry syrup then would have gone sledding if it wasn't  below zero outside.. Next year I would love to burn some scarecrows but maybe not encourage my children to jump over bonfires!

No comments: