Thursday, January 19, 2012

Homeschool mothers journal

In my life this week…
I dumped urine on my husband (by accident) and he was PISSED (pun intended!)

To make a long story short (that I do not really want to rehash in detail)Papabird was yelling at Duck for getting out of bed to pee and saying that if he didn't pee he was going to be in a time out. So when he peed (a lot I might add) I took the insert to the potty chair over to Papabird and threatened to dump it on his head for his un called for behaviour and the insert slipped and dumped all over his chest.(It was obvious to everyone that I did not mean to do it) The kids and I were laughing so hard we had tears running down our cheeks. Papabird was NOT so thrilled. I told him I never intended to actually dump it on him but a higher power must have intervened and felt he deserved it for making his son scared to get out of bed to pee that he would rather wet himself than have dad yell at him.


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
Be flexible and go with the flow.

My favorite thing this week was…
Finishing our Van Gogh art project.

What’s working for us…
Doing a bit more unschooling this year is working well for us. It was stressful at first but I am getting the hang of it. Some subjects are still structured but some I let the kids pick and choose at the start of a 6 week session and they have that time to explore that topic in great detail and give a demonstration to the family to express his/her knowledge on the subject.I am amazed at what they are picking up.

Questions I have…
Which is the right way to hold a pencil?
Let me first say that my kids are all right handed.


Falcon Holding his pen, this is how I hold a pen to write.


Robin holding her pencil. It looks all wrong to me and it is defiantly not how I hold a pencil but she says this way is easy and the way I do it is to hard. She is a beginning writer so If I need to correct her positioning now would be the time to do it. So what do you think is is right? wrong? or does it even matter if she is writing?

It never occurred to me until I uploaded pics and wrote this out that maybe I just need to get her some pencil grips to help her position her hand correctly.


I’m reading…



I’m cooking…
Gluten free burger buns that did not rise properly.


Video to share...

We just love Choo Choo Soul

2 comments:

Amy S said...

oh my word! I cannot imagine your husbands face during the "peepee" episode! LOL ... too funny! (except for him) We love choochoo soul too! So cute! and Hmm... I hold my pen/pencil different then both of you too! i think as long as her "writing" is coming out correct... then personally I dont see a problem how she holds it! but thats just me!

Sofia said...

Hi, I came across this post while I was looking through Google Image results for a photo showing someone holding a pen the same way as I do!
I agree that if your daughter is writing correctly then she'll probably be ok. I'm 26 and I still hold my pen like she does, it hasn't hurt me or made my writing hard to read.
In fact if I hold a pen the "correct" way the letters come out almost exactly the same, it just feels weird!